Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday November 14th was a very busy day. Not in terms of courses and Rome. but rather in preparation for Amy's arrival the following day. This meant I had to clean my room. Prepare space for her in my drawers and closet. We had to order cake and break out the good wine for dinner.

Amy arrived Thursday, November 15th without incident. Happy Birthday dear. I was able to meet her at the airport which was nice. She looked so Italian, I almost didn't recognize her.

She decided to travel with us into Rome to visit the Museo della Mente. The Museum of the Mind. The museum is on the grounds of an old government hospital for the mentally insane. The museum is dedicated to telling the story of the people who were committed there. As with our country, the Italians had a poor record of managing and treating mental illness at the state run institutions.

I visited the museum the last time I was in Rome in 2010. Always a great experience for the students. I don't take pictures at the museum. not because they don't allow it, but I really think it is a place that needs to be experienced directly and personally. So, the next time you get to Rome, look up this little museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment